Nagpur is a major and third most populated city of the state of Maharashtra in India and is famous for its culture, cuisine and oranges.
When it comes to food that could be enjoyed in Nagpur, the cuisine of Vidarbha region is called as Saoji cuisine or Varhadi cuisine. Saoji cuisine was the main food included in the culture of Savji community.
The traditional food of Nagpur is popular for essence and richness of spices that are included in the food. These spices that are used in gravy of the cuisine of this region are cloves, cardamom, poppy seeds, black pepper, bay leaves, and ground seeds of coriander.
Below are given some of the most popular dishes that can be enjoyed in Nagpur :
- Pohe – Pohe is a tasty snack that is made from flattened or puffed rice and is mainly served with tea or for breakfast. It has many variations such as Kanda Pohe, which are prepared with Pohe mixed with onions. Other variants include Batata (potato) Pohe, Dadpe pohe, etc. The dish is usually garnished with different ingredients such as coriander, grated coconut, sev or peanuts.
- Pitla Bhakri – Pitla bhakri is a rural dish of Nagpur and is mainly popular among farmers and folk. It is a typical Maharashtrian dish. It is prepared from powdered Dal forming a pasty dish which is Pitla. Pitla is mainly served with a special bread made from either Jowar or Bajra flour and is called Bhakri.
- Sabudana Khichdi – Sabudana is prepared from the latex of sago palm. Sabudana grains look like small balls of confetti and are the main ingredient for this dish. It is a major food item eaten by people of Nagpur in fast and Breakfast.
- Stuffed Eggplant – Stuffed eggplant or Bharli Vangi is a popular traditional dish and is made from eggplants stuffed with a mixture of boiled and minced potatoes along with a lot of spices, coconuts and peanuts.
- Sandage – Sandage is another traditional recipe that is popular in Nagpur. This authentic dish is made with Bengal gram as its major ingredient. It is made in summers and is left in the sun for drying. Once dried, sandage is cooked with vegetables and is served with chapattis. Another name for sandage is Mangodi. Sandage is very easy to preserve, hence once made, it can be used all year long.
- Koshambir – Koshambir is a traditional dish and is a very important component of traditional thali. It is a must-prepared dish for any special or religious occasion. Koshmbir is, basically, a salad made from raw vegetables and fruits and is flavoured with butter and spices. It is very easy to make it and it takes very less time to prepare. There are many variations of Koshambir in different regions, but cucumber and grated coconut are two main ingredients of this delicious dish.
- Spicy Chicken kari – Spicy chicken is a very popular dish among the people of the city who love Non-vegetarian food. The chicken is first steam cooked, and then, is marinated with very intense spices, and then, this marinated chicken is deep fired. The dish is so spicy that it may roll out some tears out of your eyes, but you will still love it and will try it again and again.
- Zunka Bhakar – This is a type of pancake that is made from millet flour and split gram mixture and is a classic and authentic dish of Vidarbha region.
Apart from these, you will find many dishes as well as sweets prepared by using oranges. When you visit Nagpur, you must try all these delicacies to give your taste buds and your senses a nice treat.
Image Pulled from Google.